The Lebanon Baptist Church was organized on September 28, 1879 with 19 charter members that met in the one room school house and sat on home made wooden benches. The first pastor was Rev. J.B. Kimbrough. The exact date when the first settlers arrived in this area is not known, but in March of 1860 the U.S. Postal Service granted a post office to Lebanon, Texas. The area was attractive to farmers as it offered free land, clear stream water, and plenty of timber as part of the original Peters Colony.
The church built its first building in 1883 and the dedication was held in April of 1884. The 1880’s were still “Free Grass Days” and the building was fenced with wooden planks to keep the cattle out and provide a place to tie the horses. Steps were built over the fence to allow for easy access and women rode side saddle to attend church. Lebanon in the late 1800’s was a thriving community with stores, a cotton gin, flour mill, blacksmith and many merchants. For the next 20 years the church continued to hold services in that building until a storm destroyed it in March of 1904. The members immediately set about building a new church and dedicated this building in September of 1904.
The town of Lebanon and the Church, located near the present site of Preston Road and John Hickman Parkway, continued its growth until 1902 when the railroad established service in what is now Frisco and many of the Lebanon residents moved their homes and businesses to the new town. The Baptist Church remained and continued to hold services in this building until 2003 when the members donated it to the City of Frisco for use in the Frisco Heritage Center. The original pews remain in the building and the tin ceiling and wooden floors are a reminder of how it looked in 1904. The pulpit shows the imprint of the many hands that have used it throughout its history.
If you are interested in renting the Lebanon Baptist Church for your event, please contact the City of Frisco.
972-292-5101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The lovely upright piano manufactured by the Geo P Bent Piano Company of Chicago was a gift from Liter Quisenberry to his daughter Edna. Mr. Quisenberry was known to travel around the country trading mules and he always brought back a gift for his daughter, Edna. About 1908 he made a trip to New York and purchased this piano from the New York Music Company. He had it shipped by rail to McKinney and then it was hauled by wagon to the family farm at the intersection of Coit and Rolater Roads. Edna lived her entire life in Frisco and this piano remained in the family until it was donated to the Heritage Association in 2008 to be used in the Lebanon Church.