Just north of intersection of Restful Lane and Sanctuary Drive off Rogers Road
Bethel Cemetery was established in 1850 on land donated by William Rogers, who arrived from Bethel, Tennessee in 1847. The settlement was named Bethel after the Tennessee town and land was dedicated for family burials and a church. The church eventually became the First Methodist Church of Frisco in 1902.
Bethel became a popular camping place for settlers as they headed west in their covered wagons. The campgrounds served another purpose as, each year when the crops were “laid by,” many farm families took a vacation coming to camp at Bethel while attending a two-week brush arbor revival. The arbor was built in 1874 on land donated by Joseph Rogers. In 1908 the Hagood family was heading west in their covered wagon and stopped at Bethel to await the birth of a baby. Little Walter M. Hagood, Jr. died four days after his birth and the family was offered a site to bury the baby. After a few days the family prepared to continue their journey and the grieving mother was concerned that no one would ever leave flowers on the grave. Families living in the Bethel area consoled her by saying that they would take care of the grave and make sure it had flowers every year. True to their word that traditional continues today.