Site no longer exists
Erudia Road at Cobb Hill Drive
Erudia was a community in extreme western Collin County that rests on the Collin and Denton County lines. The name was probably from a character in a book written by William Allen, “Erudia, the Foreign Missionary to Our World,” published in 1890. As with many of these settlements that were bypassed as the railroads began their expansion through this area, the residents and businesses moved to the new town of Frisco to be near the rail line. A post office was established at Erudia in 1895, but in 1902 it was closed and mail was routed through Frisco. Thomas Duncan was the postmaster in Erudia and after the transfer of mail to Frisco he became Frisco’s first postmaster and moved his family here. The Erudia School was in operation from 1897 to 1920 and was a one room, wooden building with only one door. It had six grades. The school district contained an area in both Collin and Denton counties. One of the teachers lived in Frisco and rode her horse to school. Blacksmithing in Frisco can be traced to another Erudia resident, A. J. Gunstream who left his farm there and opened shop in Frisco bringing his black smith skills with him. After the 1900’s Erudia disappeared from county maps.